Who We Are
First Baptist was organized October 14, 1811 as Johnston Liberty Meeting House at the corner of present day West Stallings Street and Liberty Lane in Clayton, NC. A Sunday School was organized in 1876. By 1882 the church was meeting at the Clayton Academy while a new wooden building was constructed on the site of today’s church. The present sanctuary was built and occupied in 1920, with an educational annex added in 1957. In 1997 the church began a new building program featuring a new fellowship hall, new Sunday School classes, and new administrative offices. The addition was dedicated in August 2000 and has allowed our local baptist church to better serve our community.
What We Believe
The First Baptist Church of Clayton is organized for the purpose of advancing and promoting the worship of God. We believe this is best achieved through the reading and study of the Bible as the revealed Word of God, and the teaching and preaching of the Gospel of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We also believe in conducting regular services of worship for the spiritual training, development, and benefit of each member and for the winning of souls to Jesus Christ.
The purpose of missions at FBC Clayton is to show God’s love, tell the good news, grow spiritually, and serve others.